Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Another Recipe Favorite -- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes

I don't know about you guys but I always buy a turkey that is WAY too big and then I never have enough room in my oven for the vegetables and all the other stuff I like to make at Thanksgiving. And I always want to make EVERYTHING. Pies, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, corn casserole, biscuits. I need a double oven, or maybe a triple oven ;-) but all I have is a plain old Kenmore that I'm sure I hear groaning when I come near it :-).

So here's my recipe for Crock-Pot mashed potatoes. You make them pretty much like regular mashed potatoes, but you can make them ahead of time and keep them warm in the crock-pot, thereby keeping a burner free.

Shirley's Crock-Pot Mashed Potatoes
5 lbs. potatoes (9 large)
2 3-ounce packages of cream cheese
1 cup dairy sour cream
2 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter

Cook peeled potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain. Mash
until smooth (meaning no lumps. Nobody likes lumpy mashed potatoes, right?). Add the rest of the ingredients, beating until light and fluffy. Spray non-stick spray inside your crock-pot, add the mashed potatoes and put the pot on low. They'll keep in here for a few hours. Stir every hour or so to keep them from burning along the sides. If they start to dry out, add a little butter.

Very yummy. The onion salt, IMO, adds a little extra oomph. I love these and have been known to eat a whole serving or two before they even make it to the crock-pot ;-)

Shirley

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Yummmmmmyyyyy! This is a dish that speaks to me. Potatoes are one of my favorite food items...pretty much anyway you make them suits me. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! Eat too much, laugh until you cry and spread more love than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:41 AM

    These are the best potatoes EVER! I have made them for years and it's just not Thanksgiving without them...They are requested every year! Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:53 AM

    Do these potatoes taste good with gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat,

    My kids (who love gravy on their potatoes) sure think so! If I'm going to use gravy, I'll reduce the onion salt in half so the gravy flavor comes through more.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!