Saturday, August 16, 2008

Easy Pizza Calzones


These could not have been easier or faster. Okay, if they were made by someone else, maybe, LOL.


Today, I went to the open air farmer's market downtown. It was so awesome. A.) because the weather was GORGEOUS (high 70s, which is my favorite temperature) and B.) because I found some AWESOME fruits and veggies at great prices and C.) because it was just fun to be out and about with my daughter (who is the most amazing daughter EVA, (which is what she told me to write because she is looking over my shoulder as I type), shopping.

Anyway, kids loved these, I loved these and ate so many slices, I had to walk the dogs an extra half mile tonight ;-)


Easy Pizza Calzones


3 Ready Made Pizza Crusts (use the Pillsbury ones, unless you are some glutton for punishment who makes your own from scratch)
1 small jar pizza sauce
8 ounces shredded pizza blend cheese (or Italian blend)
Parmesan cheese
Pizza toppings of your choice (FYI, I used already cooked sausage patties; the Bob Evans kind, so I didn't even have to cook those)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll pizza crust. Spread about 4 tablespoons of pizza sauce on each crust, within 1/2 inch of pizza dough edge. Top with cheese (I used about 1/2 cup or so of cheese on each pizza...whatever looked good). Add toppings. For one pizza, I did pepperoni. For the next, I did just sausage. For the third, I did mushrooms, frozen chopped onions and sausage.
Roll up pizza, jelly-roll style. Pinch seams together. Pinch ends together, to seal. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for five minutes on a wire rack before slicing.


They were SO yummy and cheesy. And way softer than regular pizza. One note -- I have some of those Air Bake cookies sheets--the pizza calzones I did on those came out less crispy on the bottom than the ones I did on regular cookie sheets, and I liked the Air Bake version better. So if you have those, you might want to try them. I do have a pizza stone from Pampered Chef, but I didn't think to try it.


And in the ongoing quest for shallots--I asked for them all over the farmer's market today. No go. The vendor that normally carries them said part of his field had flooded this summer, so the shallots were late getting harvested. Hopefully, he'd have them next week. But at least he knew what they were, LOL. The farmer's market did have all kinds of WAY cool veggies that I'll be trying in the coming weeks.


Shirley

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:11 PM

    I tried these calzones tonight. My husband liked them with pre-cooked ham.

    My son, the picky eater had one with hamburger crumbles. He said "That's not too bad." This is high praise.

    To hedge my bets, I made some of the dough into breadsticks, which my daughter ate with spaghetti.

    Thanks for another great, easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! Can't wait to try these. Sounds great. I am too shy a cook to try anything pastry-ish. But this looks easy enough for me!

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!