Sunday, November 11, 2007

Pecan-Crusted Salmon Recipe--That's How to Have Fish ;-)

Every once in a while I come across a recipe that is SO GOOD I can't wait to make it again. This one is one of those.

I got this out of the new Taste of Home cookbook, but because I'm never quite happy with what is printed, LOL, I tweaked a bit. Here's what I did (changed a bit to fit what I had on hand):

Pecan-Crusted Salmon

1 1/2 pounds salmon (FYI, only DH and I will eat fish, so this was enough for the two of us), skin removed
1 cup milk
1/2 to 1 cup pecans, finely chopped (I only bought one small bag because I couldn't remember how much I needed, so I only had a 1/2 cup; it worked out just fine)
2 tablespoons flax seed (you know I'm all into that heart healthy thing now and trust me, you can't even taste these when you cook this. It's a good way to get in some goodness)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar blend to keep the carbs down)
2 teaspoons seasoned salt (the spice)
2 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

I cut the salmon into three pieces, then put it in a Zip-Loc bag with the milk. Let it sit for ten minutes. Mix the pecans, flax seed, flour, brown sugar, seasoned salt and pepper in a pie plate or paper plate. Heat a non-stick pan and drizzle with olive oil over medium-high heat.

Press salmon fillets firmly into pecan mixture, on both sides. Brown in the pan on both sides, about 6 minutes or so each side (it really depends on how thick your salmon is. If you have super thick salmon, then go ahead and bake it at 400 for a few minutes after you brown it. Mine wasn't super thick so I could just brown it until it was cooked through).

This was awesome. Serve-to-company awesome. I'm not a huge fan of salmon (it's got that it-tastes-the-same-no-matter-what-you-do-to-it quality) but I did love this.


On another note, tomorrow is the Monday day off for Veteran's Day. If you haven't done so already, thank a veteran. I'd like to send a thanks to my dad and my husband--both who have served in the military and helped keep our country free.


Shirley

10 comments:

  1. The salmon recipe sounds delicious. Did you buy fresh fish or frozen? If frozen, I assume you thaw first. I'll give it a try.

    God bless our Vets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought fresh. It was on sale, which was an even better bonus :-) The only thing I've ever made with frozen salmon (I'm a native East Coaster...I'm one of those, if it isn't fresh, we don't buy it people, LOL) is blackened salmon.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley! I love salmon and the recipe sounds so different than the ways I usually make it! Sounds great!

    Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! And thanks for the Foodie Blogroll! I'm dying to try your chicken with grapes, too!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where do you buy your fresh fish, Shirley?

    This year I plan to brine my turkey. Have you ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried brining a turkey! I've seen it done but never tried it. I so look forward to the roast version, though, and only have roast turkey a few times a year, so I can't wait. My daughter wanted me to PROMISE I'd make Thanksgiving dinner this year so she could be sure we'd have all the leftovers in our house, LOL.

    I get my fish either at the supermarket on delivery day (I asked the meat guy which day that is; it's either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the store) or, more often, the butcher's. I've been going to the butcher shop a lot more often lately because the quality has just been so much better and everything, right down to the chicken, ten times juicier, which gives me better cooking results. Plus, they have lots of already prepared things like coconut crusted tilapia for about the same price as I'd pay for fresh in the market. Might as well let someone else do the work from time to time ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this recipe last week - and it is incredibly wonderful! You can't even taste the fish taste at all - it is delicious!! You can't go wrong with this recipe at all. Thanks for sharing it! I think I found it in my Taste of Home cookbook. YUUUUMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason this recipe did not work for me...the pecan topping did not coat/stick on the fish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm...not sure why, Rebecca. Maybe the mixture wasn't moist enough??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Thanks for posting this! I misplaced my recipe and have been searching for this exact one for months...finally found your site and it was delicious!!! The only thing I recommend is turning the heat on the stove down to medium because I've accidentally burnt it in the past. Also make sure the pecans are very finely chopped or they won't stick very well.

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!