Monday, August 25, 2008

Apple Pear Salad and Peachy Pork Chops

I miss the Olympics already. Sigh. I have never watched so many sporting events in my life and now that the Olympics are over, it's like I don't know what to do with my TV. I ended up doing Pilates with Kathy Smith on my On Demand on Comcast this morning.

Now that's being desperate for sports. ;-)


Saturday night, I made Cola Barbecue Ribs from the Rachael Ray magazine. The ribs I had were not the best -- not sure what happened there because they sure looked good in the package and sure cost enough -- so the meal itself didn't turn out well, but the recipe was good. I do suggest, though, doing the sauce in like, half, because it took FOREVER to cook down. I found that taking half for the ribs for basting (it was thin, not thick), then using the other half to boil down into a syrupy sauce like you get in a rib place, was REALLY good. I just saved all the leftover sauce to put on a dinner later. Like on chicken or something.

I served the ribs with fresh corn on the cob (went back to the open-air market. YUMM-O) and an apple-pear salad.

Apple-Pear Salad

1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 apples sliced
2 pears, sliced
lettuce

whisk dressing ingredients together. Toss with apples and pears, and refrigerate for at least one hour. Top with nuts if you like those (I do :-) but I didn't have any on hand).

The night before, I made peachy pork chops. I know I'd said I was going to make pecan crusted pork chops, but the peaches I'd bought were just about to go bad, so I decided to use those up instead:


Peachy Pork Chops

4-6 boneless pork chops
1 egg
1 cup Bisquick
2 tablespoons corn meal (or if you don't have it, it's no big deal
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup butter
4 large peaches (I used two, I wished I'd doubled the recipe), sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix Bisquick, corn meal and salt and pepper. Dredge pork chops in egg, then Bisquick mix. Heat oil in pan, then fry pork chops on both sides until cooked through (about 6-8 minutes per side, if you have thin ones).

In a separate pan, melt the butter. Add peaches and brown sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved, peaches are softened. Spoon peach mixture over pork chops.

My kids LOVED the apple-pear salad. So much that they were eating it before it even hit the table. One kid isn't wild about peaches, but didn't mind them in "syrup" with the pork chops, so that meal was a pretty good hit. I served them with Asiago Red Potatoes, which I'll try to get up in a day or two. I didn't follow that recipe exactly, and maybe next time I will -- the real recipe was more work than I wanted, LOL.

Shirley

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:08 PM

    If you ever decide to, say, quit your writing career, and opt to donate your cooking services (for free) to those who lack your creativity, like perhaps ME, just let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Uh-huh. When I decide, I'll let you know, LOL.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!