Tuesday, January 04, 2005

About Those Pesky New Year's Resolutions...

Every year, millions of us make New Year's resolutions. If you're a writer, you've probably listed a few writing resolutions, whether they be to write more or query more or have that book published...or whatever. While I believe in career planning (and do it often), I don't quite jump on the NY resolution bandwagon. I used to, just like everyone else (lose weight, exercise more, watch less TV, work more, be a more patient person...ha!).

But then I realized that all I was doing was increasing the pressure on myself at a time when all I wanted was a little less pressure. I mean, let's face it. The end of the holiday season and the beginning of A.) tax season and B.) the beginning of a new year are both stressful enough without adding in all these resolutions. That's not to say I don't want to take off my holiday pounds or get outside more than I did before. But I'm not going to write out a list and kick myself if I eat cookies for breakfast instead of oranges. Tomorrow is, after all, another day.

And when it comes to writing, I don't make NY resolutions anymore either. I don't set goals. I have enough pressure with the regular writing day job to not have to add in any more.

So, you may be asking, what AM I going to do with my writing this year?

The same thing I've been trying to do all last year. Be the best writer I know how. Write the things that are near and dear to my heart, hope like heck someone will pay me for it, and while I'm at it, try to be savvy about the business so I can pay my phone bill and help support the household (not to mention my shoe habit). I'm going to try harder. Work smarter. And learn everything I can in the process.

But as for setting any goals bigger than that...nope, not going to do it. I want my focus to be on the craft, not on the career. The career will come, or it won't. Either way, it won't happen if the craft isn't there. And if by some chance the gods of publishing shine on me and turn me into a best-selling author, I want to know that I gave my best on every page. Not that I gave my best to career planning.

My take on NY resolutions...I don't make 'em. I got up on January 1st and went to work the same as I did on December 31st. Only with a little note to remind me to write 2005 on my checks ;-)

Shirley

1 comment:

  1. I did make resolutions this year (again). To me, the new year is like a fresh start. I know it's just a mindset. I also know I'll probably be lucky to keep even one of my resolutions. Your way is probably less likely to "burn out" though! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!