Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An Oriental Flair Last Night

I'm thinking I need to start taking pictures of my meals, especially the more successful ones. But that would involve actually pausing to think before I dive into my plate and usually, I'm starving and practically shoving the kids out of the way to get to the dishes ;-)


Nah, I do dish them up first. Honest.



Last night was a WW Pad Thai recipe. Not too bad at all. Not quite the real thing but close enough that I think if I could get myself to a Thai restaurant, have some of the real thing again and take a little leftover home, I could tinker enough to perfect it. I don't eat Pad Thai often enough to remember the real thing perfectly, so I couldn't tinker with this one. But it was good, enough that both DH and I had seconds. My son looked at it, said it tasted "funny" and only ate the chicken.


Ah well, you can't please them all with every meal.

Then I made my mother's recipe for Green Rice. I can't believe I've forgotten it for the last couple of years. It's quite good, and where my kids are HUGE white rice fans, this one went over much better. Next time, I'll add more Parmesan cheese, because anything with cheese in it makes a friend in my house. I cook it in a rice cooker and honestly have no idea how to cook rice without a rice cooker, so change your liquids accordingly to cook it the regular way.


Green Rice


3 cups white rice (I use jasmine rice; I buy it at the oriental store)
3 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups diced spinach (I used frozen, and defrosted it a bit first)
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons butter (or light butter if you're watching calories)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese


Cook the rice with the chicken stock in the rice cooker. When done, mix in everything else :-). Done!


The book due at the end of the month is coming along well. So well that I started a proposal for another book and started plotting another proposal with my daughter. My daughter's getting older now, old enough to start reading my Harlequin Romances (not all of them, but the one I just wrote is tame enough for her to read and she said it didn't stink, which is about her highest compliment for her mom, and she was literally grabbing the pages out of my hand as fast as I was editing them, so I take it she was hooked). She was way into plotting this other proposal, so I told her if it sold, I'd give her a teeny portion of the advance. That had her eyes lighting up and sent her off into mall dream land. Anyway, there's a long, long road ahead before that might happen, so she better not spend her Abercrombie & Fitch dollars just yet.


Gee, if I could only get her to clean her room that easily ;-)


Hope all of you who are dieting along with me are doing well!!

Oh, and check out the new feature on my website: Behind the Book!


Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!