Thursday, March 08, 2007

Goodbye Low Fat

Well, it's about darn time.

Yesterday, the Journal of the American Medical Association released a Stanford University Study that found the Atkins diet works the best out of all diets: Zone, Ornish, low-fat. I've been doing the low-fat Weight Watchers diet and while I've had moderate success (15 pounds in three months), it hasn't been the blockbuster success I had six years ago doing Atkins (50 pounds in four months).


I hate eating low-fat. I really don't like the low-fat versions of foods and have a real problem, headache-wise, with most low-fat products (the fake stuff in it gives me problems with my migraines). But DH wanted to try WW, so I gave it a shot. And you can see from the blog archives I did lots of great dinner things (not to mention those cherry scones, which are still my favorite breakfast item). It was the other stuff (cream in my coffee, yogurt for breakfast, etc.) that was hard to take. Salad dressing...don't even get me started. I began to avoid salad because I really, really despise low-fat salad dressing. And I'm a salad lover :-)

Now, when I did Atkins before, I did not do the pork rinds at every meal, the butter on my pork chop kind of thing that the critics scream about. I was sensible and wise, had one, maybe two eggs at breakfast, a salad at lunch, a sensible dinner. That's what I'm going back to. Immediately. I do have some low-fat creamer in my fridge and some yogurts left that I think I'll pawn off on my teenage daughter who needs the calcium anyway. But whoo-hoo, it's like a party now. LOL.

I'll still be sharing recipes. My brother loved the sweet potato fries I made while he was here, so I need to post those, hopefully today. I'm on deadline, which makes me busier than normal, plus I am traveling a lot lately, but will try to keep up with the recipes.

Oh, last night, I made AWESOME parmesan turkey tenderloin. This one I know off the top of my head:

Parmesan Turkey Tenderloins

20 ounces turkey tenderloin slices (Jenny-O sells these)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter

Mix eggs, water, parsley, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese with a whisk (batter will be thick). Melt butter with oil in non-stick pan over medium heat. Dredge turkey slices in flour, then in egg mix. Lay in pan, cook on each side until brown and crisp, about 6 minutes or so (I don't really time it...when it's brown and crisp, turn it ). Brown on all sides. If the turkey is thick (mine were), cover the pan and let it cook until the turkey slices reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.

This was VERY tender and yummy. Covering it made it a bit less crispy, so if you want it super crispy, you can be less lazy than me and slice your tenderloin really thin and do more slices. I just wanted to get in and get out and not mess with it . I served it with broccoli, rice and some low-fat crescent rolls (my last WW hurrah ;-).

Shirley
Reading: Done with RITA books!
Listening to: The Secret on CD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!