Sunday, July 29, 2007

Pepper Jack Stuffed Chicken

I tried a new recipe the other night--quite good. A big hit at my house, though DS and I were the only ones that ate it that night (it was a big hit the next day at lunch), because DH and DD were late getting home, and ended up having movie popcorn for dinner (we went to the movies to see the new Harry Potter. I didn't like this one as much as the other ones. I wish they'd stick with the same director for all the movies and I really MISS THE OLD DUMBLEDORE. I just don't like the guy they have playing him now. Or get the guy who played Gandolf in Lord of the Rings. He'd make a MUCH better Dumbledore). Anyway, I digress.



Pepper-Jack Stuffed Chicken

6 boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin (or you can cheat a bit, like I do -- I cut slices in them, not all the way through, then pound them. I hate pounding chicken. I find slicing them a bit makes it easier to pound them)

6 1/2 slices pepper jack cheese
taco seasoning
salt and pepper
Pam spray
Ranch dressing for a dip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thick. Roll up cheese inside chicken, then secure with toothpicks (it took three toothpicks per breast for me). Pat taco seasoning all over outside of chicken, then sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Spray some Pam on a non-stick pan, then brown the chicken.

Put the browned breasts into a baking dish (I put foil into mine and sprayed Pam on it. I hate clean-up :-). Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165-170 degrees Farenheit. Serve with Ranch dressing for a dip, if you want.



Have you tried those new McCormick grinders? I have almost all of them and totally love them (and no, sadly, the company gives me no money for my raving about them. I must find a way to make this blog work for me ;-). With the chicken, I took crescent rolls, sprayed them with some Pam (trying to watch the calories, folks, so no butter dredging there!) and then sprinkled them with the Garlic Sea Salt grindings. VERY VERY GOOD. Almost like the Little Caesar bread sticks. The problem? I didn't save too many calories because I ate three crescent rolls. But hey, at least I made the reduced fat ones!




But they were totally not low-carb or low anything there. Low-fat is kind of a misnomer, if you read the label. They're still NOT good for losing weight. But still totally yummy.


In penance, I went to the outdoor market we have on Saturdays in the summer here and bought loads and loads of fresh veggies and some cheeses (I am such a cheese fanatic, which is why I wrote a whole book that stars the food group, masked with a romance).


And I ran again this morning. That makes three days this week, taking me from 1.25 miles to 1.75 miles (I'm running just over 2/3s of the distance, walking in the middle of it so my poor old body doesn't have a heart attack). Did my Britney workout--350/35. I will not undo all that with crescent rolls today.



Or at least not with crescent rolls plural. Maybe only one. ;-)



Shirley
Not reading anything but my own book ;-)
Listening to Girl Next Door by Saving Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!