Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lemon Chicken and Applesauce

Last night's dinner was a hit with the kids, not always an easy thing to do. The eldest, who is the picky one, even went back for seconds. That alone is a miracle ;-)



I made Lemon Chicken, from the Taste of Home cookbook. It was SO easy and fast, too. It's basically butter, lemon juice and garlic in one dish (you melt the butter, add the lemon juice and garlic, then dip the chicken in that) and bread crumbs in the other. Dip the chicken in the bread crumbs (I used seasoned ones because I usually have those on hand because I'm lazy and hate to do the seasoning, too) and then bake at 350. I had to bake mine a little longer than the directions said because I had pretty thick pieces of chicken. I also threw in some extra plain chicken to make chicken pot pie later in the week. Smart cookie here ;-)



Then I made homemade applesauce. My son had a field trip to make apple cider this week and I had loads of apples to buy for his class. I bought an extra bag and used those (I think they were Jonathons) and mixed in a few Red Delicious. All together, I had about four pounds of apples. I used Splenda brown sugar, about 1/4 cup, a 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Simmered all this over medium low heat until it was almost mushy (I like my applesauce a little chunky). Mine was pretty sweet, because we like it that way -- if you want it less sweet, use less Splenda (or you can use regular brown sugar; I'm on that OMG, gotta lose the 10 pounds that seemed to creep up when I wasn't looking AGAIN).





Don't forget, I'm blogging all this week over at Novelspot about where the ideas came from for Miracle on Christmas Eve (which comes out next week!!!).

And for all my UK fans, you can still buy CHRISTMAS WEDDINGS, which has my all-new Christmas novella, "Snowbound Bride," in stores!

Now for some candy tonight! Of course, I'll be undoing all that healthy goodness I ate last night, which is why it's a good thing Halloween only comes once a year!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!