Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Layered Cauliflower Salad

A friend asked me for a good recipe to take to a potluck today and I realized I've never posted this fabulous and easy recipe a friend gave me ages ago. This might not be the exact recipe my friend gave me (you know how it is, you lose the exact recipe, so you just start winging it). I kind of add what I have on hand anyway :-)

Layered Cauliflower Salad
1/4 to 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 head broccoli, chopped
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 bag frozen peas, defrosted
4 green onions (scallions), chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 to 6 slices bacon, cooked and diced

Dressing
1 cup Miracle Whip or regular Mayonnaise
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch mix

Layer the veggies in a deep bowl. Mix the dressing together. Just before serving, toss dressing with vegetables and serve. You can add other vegetables that you like to either replace or augment this salad. It's pretty much a what-you-like kind of salad :-). I've added sliced black olives when I've had them, too. And sometimes sunflower seeds. Sometimes croutons. Whatever is on hand and sounds yumm-o. :-).

I just got back from the Midwest Writers Workshop -- a lot of fun and VERY exhausting. More on that in a day or two when I get caught up!

Shirley

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:18 PM

    I made this salad for a get-together tonight.

    Everyone raved about it! There are similar recipes out there but I think the onions give it pizazz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear it worked out so well!! It's one of my stand-by favorites here, too!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!