Monday, November 09, 2009

Chicken with Gnocchi Dumplings

A couple weeks ago, I made chicken with dumplings--the Tyler Florence recipe, which was highly rated by my whole family and definitely on my To Do Again list. So when I came across another type of chicken and dumpling recipe, I was a little hesitant to try it.



But it did use gnocchi, which is one of my all-time favorite things to eat (though not something I have made from scratch...at least with potatoes. For one, mashed potatoes rarely last long enough to become leftovers here, and for another, it just seemed like a lot of effort, LOL, when I can just buy them already made at Meijer). But I have made Ricotta Gnocchi, which I LOVE.



So I thought I'd give it a shot. DH had already cooked all the chicken (he barbecued it the other day), so although it was a tad barbecue flavor, it was ready to use. I just cut off the barbecued outside, to reduce the barbecue flavor.



I based my recipe off a Rachael Ray recipe I saw in the magazine. I adapted mine slightly just to use up what I happened to have in the fridge, and also to make it closer to the other recipe I had made before.



Chicken with Gnocchi Dumplings



1/2 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup flour
salt
pepper
2 cups cooked chicken
1 cup half and half
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 small bag frozen peas and carrots
1 package already-made gnocchi
1 tablespoon fresh parsley



Cook the onion and pepper in 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the chicken and stir, until warmed through. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and then flour, and S&P to taste. Stir until everything is coated with flour, then add liquids and stir. Boil sauce one minute, until thick and bubbly. (I might have added extra broth...I don't really measure when I make a white sauce, I just add liquid until it's the consistency I want; so if it's too thick, add more broth).



Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt well. Add gnocchi and cook per package directions.



Stir peas and carrots into chicken mixture. Add cooked gnocchi. Top with minced parsley. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.


Serve! ;-)



I also made a great enchilada recipe the other day that was gone so fast, there were no pictures, LOL. I'll share that soon. I've got several other things on tap this week--chicken with cranberry mustard sauce, a stir fry, and rice pancakes. And maybe pork with blackberry sauce, depending on how much time I have to cook this week.



Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!