Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Ham, Potato and Cheddar Pie




When I was a kid, my mom made something she called Spam Pie. I loved it, and it's always been one of those comfort foods that I love when it's cold and icky out. I know, I know--SPAM? But it was good, believe me.

My husband is anti-Spam, so I now make the pie with ham. Whatever leftover ham I have from roasting one, that's what goes in there (so, the Blackberry Glazed Ham became this later). It's easy, quick, and though most people would use two pie crusts to make it a true pie, I usually just use one to save the bottom calories. LOL because this is not a low-calorie meal (it's the whole Diet Coke and large fries concept, LOL).

Ham, Potato and Cheddar Pie

1 green pepper, chopped

1 small onion, diced

2 tablespoons butter

3 baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (if you don't have leftover ones, just bake them in the microwave, let them cool and then cut them up)

1 pound ham, cubed

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 can cheddar cheese soup

salt and pepper

pie crust

1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350. Melt the butter in a pan, add peppers and onions and cook until softened. Add the ham and potatoes, then stir in ONE can of cream of mushroom soup and the cheddar cheese soup. Season with salt and pepper. Put into a pie plate, top with pie crust (cut a slit in the top) and bake (I put a cookie sheet underneath since it tends to bubble up) for 30 minutes. In a separate saucepan, mix the remaining can of soup and milk, and cook until warmed through. Serve pie with soup on the side.

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!