Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sugar-Free Cherry Berry Jam


There's nothing like fresh berries in the summer. When my local market put all kinds of berries on sale--cherries, blackberries and raspberries--I knew I had to make something (with the ones I didn't eat first, LOL).
So I decided on jam. All these years I've been cooking, and I've never made jam. I have no real interest in canning (I'm sure it's easy and good, and I probably should be doing it to make my life easier on busy dinner nights...but it's one more thing I don't have time for, LOL).
This recipe doesn't make a ton--just a couple of cups--so that was enough to leave in the fridge for the kids and me and also maybe to dress up a pork recipe. You can substitute real sugar in this recipe for the Splenda--I was just trying to keep the sugar and the calories down:
Sugar-Free Cherry Berry Jam
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
2 cups cherries, pitted
1 1/2 teapoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated Splenda (or sugar)
Put all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Heat on medium-high until it comes to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Chill and serve (or if you're like me, spread a little of the warm jam on some toast before you put it away ;-)
Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!