Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tilapia Milanese

My son has turned into a big fan of Tilapia. I had another recipe I made a few weeks ago that was quick and easy, and basically just consisted of a sauce that got drizzled over pan-fried Tilapia. He liked it so much, we had it twice that week and a couple times since. I didn't put that one on the blog, but next time I make it, I will. :-)

So tonight I wanted to have Tilapia, but have a different recipe from the one I'd made before. My son was NOT happy--he wanted the one he already knew he liked. So I enlisted his help in making the Tilapia Milanese because I knew if I did that, he'd be more invested in the meal. So I had him running the food processor while I was peeling potatoes for mashed potatoes.

This one was in a recent issue of Food Network Magazine. I love that magazine--nearly every issue has a dozen or more recipes I can't wait to make.

Tilapia Milanese

4 6-ounce tilapia fillets
1 1/2 cups milk (I used fat-free/lactose-free)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
3 large eggs
6 slices white bread, torn into pieces (I used whole grain white)
1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
grated zest of 1/2 lemon (reserve the wedgest for serving)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2-4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Place the fish in a bowl with the milk and 2 cups of ice. Let marinate for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 F.

In a shallow bowl (I always use pie plates for dredging), mix flour with salt and pepper. In pie plate #2, beat the eggs lightly. Reserve a third pie plate for breading.

In a food processor, pulse the bread, parsley, lemon zest and salt, until crumbs form. Pour into pie plate #3. Remove the fillets from the milk, dredge in flour (shaking off excess), then into eggs, then into bread crumbs. Press bread crumbs onto fish to coat it well. Put the fillets on a large plate.

In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add two fillets, and cook, 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet. Add another tablespoon or two each of butter and olive oil (I only needed one more of each) and cook remaining two fillets. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 8 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.

My son had seconds--an entire fillet and then half of another. For a pre-teen, that's a whole lot of fish ;-). It was a great dinner, and definitely on the list to make again.

Shirley

2 comments:

  1. Yum! We love tilapia in our house, and it's a sustainable fish. Thanks for the new idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope to get that other tilapia recipe up soon. It's fast becoming a weekly staple in our house.

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!