Monday, June 18, 2012

Easy Spanish Rice

Spanish rice is one of those things that I figure should be easy, but has never really turned out that good for me. I hate the packaged stuff, but love what I get in a Mexican restaurant. This tried and true Spanish Rice recipe is a favorite with my whole family. I forgot to take a picture -- sorry!

Easy Spanish Rice

2 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white rice (I use Jasmine just because I always have that but you can use whatever)
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups chicken broth
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 lime
1 scallion, green and white parts chopped

Heat a pan over medium heat. Add oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the rice, onion and garlic, stir until the rice is coated with the oil, and the onions soften. Add the cumin and salt and stir for one minute (it helps release the spice when you heat it in the pan). Add the chicken broth and canned tomatoes (with juice). Simmer the rice for about 15 minutes, until it absorbs all the liquid. If you need to add more liquid, add 1/2 cup at a time and simmer until gone. When the rice is cooked, top with cilantro and scallion, then squeeze the lime juice over it.

An easy, quick side and a big hit with my family!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!