Friday, November 16, 2012

Alton Brown's Brining Recipe

Brined turkey, literally falling off the bone after roasting :-)
 
If you google Alton Brown and brining, you get a few different results that aren't this one. I don't like the one he has on Good Eats as much as I do this one, from I'm Just Here for the Food. This one has yet to let me down :-) I've added a few adaptations to it, based on other brines I've used:

1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
10-14 peppercorns (whole)
2-4 whole bay leaves
1 6-ounce container frozen OJ
1 gallon water
1 16-18 pound turkey
1 gallon ice cubes
canola oil

Dissolve the salt, sugar, and juice in 1 quart of hot water. Cool with the remaining 3 quarts of water. Remove the guts and stuff from inside the turkey and put it in the brining bag or container. Cover with the liquid. If it doesn't completely cover the bird, add more liquid (he uses chicken broth). Cover wtih ice and soak for at least 5-6 hours.

Alton dries off the bird, rubs it down with canola oil, then starts cooking the bird on high (500) then after a half hour, turns it down to 350 degrees. I've found that works pretty well. He covers the breast with a tent of foil, removes it at the end to get a little browning.

I highly recommend brining if you've never tried it before. Easy and quick, and the most tender bird ever!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!