Tuesday, February 15, 2005

A Bit of Trivia Can Change Your Writing

My Dad sent me this list of trivia this morning. One of the items on there was this:

>>If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an
average of 6 months waiting at red lights.<<

(I would wager that if you live in Boston or New York City, it's much longer :-).)

Why is this useful to know? Because it can help you write. Seriously. I write a rough draft of my pages in the morning, then print out those few pages and take them with me throughout the day. If I come to a red light, I know I have about 30 seconds to make a few corrections. So I spend my time there, doing that. I have a pen handy, the pages handy, and I can usually whiz through a paragraph or two. Just by having the manuscript pages with me, it keeps the story uppermost in my mind and when I'm not at red lights, I turn plot complications and character issues over in my head.

Think about it...you have six months of your life to devote to whatever goal you want to pursue. How can you take those snippets of time and make them more useful?

Have a great Tuesday!

Shirley

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Thanks, I hadn't really thought of this but it's true those lights do take some time.

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!