Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Christmas Gift Idea?

In my blog on time, Lynette, said:

>>I believe that one of the most important things you can give to someone is your time.<<

She's reading my mind, I swear ;-) I feel the same way, particularly about my kids. I try to give them as much time as I can, for talking, for playing, for about anything. I'm not quite sure WHY they don't see the value in having Mom hang out with them. In public. For the kids, it's not about the time, it's about DISTANCE--the more the better between them and me ;-)

There are lots of people I love spending time with. My family, my friends, my writing groups. Since they keep hanging around me (in public ), I figure they feel the same way. Or maybe they just haven't had a chance to tell me to bug off. When you work a solitary job you tend to get a bit...CHATTY when you're around people who breathe.

Then there are the time-suckers. You know those people--they're the ones who call you looking for a donation for a group you've never heard of. The strange out-of-town kids on your doorstep trying to sell you a package of M&Ms for two dollars (or the bargain price of three for five). The woman in front of you in the grocery store line who can't find her checkbook, has to dig her coupons out of the bottom of her purse, and then chats the check-out clerk's head off about the price of the Cheese Nips in Aisle 6.

I think I need to wear a flip button, adjustable for each occasion. "Yes, I'll spend time with you" or "No, I don't want to chat about your Pekingnese and the cute little mess he left on the living room carpet." Or even better, a tattoo: Time Suckers Step Back Ten Feet.

So, if you're looking for a Christmas gift idea, put down the massaging slippers (bought those for myself yesterday. They're kinda weird, I have to say. Vibrating things on my feet...a bit bizarre) and grab the Time Sucker Ward-Off Spray instead.

My kids will thank you for it.

Or not ;-)

Shirley

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Hmmm. I need some time suckers ward off spray myself. :) Can we spray the kids when they are grumpy? hehe

    I've been thinking a lot lately about spending more time with the kids: just hanging out, playing, goofing off, etc. I need to do that more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hung up a "no solicitors" sign on my front door, handwritten. It's done wonders in cutting down on the out of town fundraisers, the carpet cleaners, the bug sprayers, and more. From my upstairs office, I see them walking toward the door, then pause, then turn around and walk on to the next house.

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!