Saturday, February 10, 2007

Another Signing Adventure Today

I'm off to Valparaiso, to the great Barnes and Noble there today. Hopefully we have great weather and a nice turnout. The signing's at a great time and the bookseller is very enthusiastic and supportive--all good indicators of a great day ahead. I'm looking forward to it, and the time in the car with my teenage daughter, who's stuck plotting with me for the two hours there and back. She may not be so thrilled, but I'm thrilled to have a secretary so I don't have to try to write and drive ;-) (My apologies to all those who are behind me on the road when I do that ;-).

My editor at Harlequin in London sent me a Valentine's Day gift. How sweet was that? Cute little Post-It notes and a really neat little pen. It was such a sweet surprise and something I've never received before for an editor. I have to hand it to the Brits, they are the most polite and nicest editors I have ever worked for. Even when they've rejected me in the past (I sent my very first awful manuscript to Harlequin, Mills & Book in London), they were so sweet about it, I hardly knew I'd been rejected. My editor in London is wonderful and so easy to work with that I hope I get to stay with her for years.

Last night, DD and I went out for Chinese food for dinner. We were running around town, trying to sell car wash tickets for a fundraiser for school (hey, all you local readers, do you need a clean car? See me! I've got some car wash tickets you need to buy!). And we spied the Chinese restaurant and...

Well, let's just say I didn't have a weight friendly dinner last night. Ah well, that's what today is for. The CRM at Barnes and Noble assures me I have my choice in Valpo of dining delights near the store. If I can keep DD from talking me into her favorite, Cold Stone Creamery, then I should be able to get back home without adding too many pounds to the car ;-).

Oh, but I do have a recipe! I tried my Creamy Spinach with a lo-cal version and I couldn't even tell the difference the other night. I made it with a roast chicken and some baked potatoes. Roasted the chicken with a lemon, garlic and thyme inside. Pretty good, not as flavorful as I'd hoped, so next time I might tweak a bit more.

Low-Cal Creamy Spinach

20 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted
1 8 ounce package fat free cream cheese
4 ounces low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons Promise spread (or other low-fat margarine)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a casserole dish. If you don't want any burned corners, use a round or oval dish (a trick I learned from Alton Brown over at the Food Network :-). Bake for 30 minutes.

I happen to love spinach but do know that the whole world doesn't :-). Tofu, though, that's one thing I have yet to learn to grow to love and I have tried doing a number of things with it. I'm working on that, though, because I'm getting near 40 and hear all that stuff about soy and women and blah-blah about tofu being good for me. But...

Ugh. I'm like former President Bush and broccoli. I'm a grown-up and I hate turnips and beets and tofu and I'm not going to eat them ;-).

But I do eat my spinach, so score one for that leafy green!

Have a great day! And if you're in the Valparaiso area, stop on by and say hi!

Shirley

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the book signing (and it could be better in the library... a line going out the door of people who purchased your books awaiting autographs).
    Congrats again,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!