Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Talk About Being Irregular :-)

Some weeks, I'm regular as Metamucil with my blog, other weeks, my days get away from me and before I know it, days and days have gone by and I haven't blogged at all. That's been one of those weeks here. It's all this travel (and more to come). Hopefully in a couple more weeks I'll be back on a semblance of a regular schedule :-)

And that means I'll be back to blogging (and cooking! Believe it or not, I am tired of eating out!) and writing on a regular basis too. I hate getting off schedule.

But I have been reading and reading and reading. LOTS of books. I just finished Jodi Picoult's THE PACT and have to say I was kind of disappointed. I usually love Picoult but with this one, I really didn't think the character was motivated enough to do what she did (I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say suicide). I got all the way to the end, expecting that Picoult twist, that one more big secret to be revealed, that one big thing that would shock us all...

And it wasn't there. I had hoped for a whole lot more, really. I understand that in real life, kids commit suicide on a lot less than what this kid did, but frankly, when an author takes on such a heavy topic, I'd hope that it would be with much heavier reasons behind the character's actions. This was not, IMO, an insurmountable issue, one that she couldn't have overcome with some therapy. And that's something the other characters will have to live with forever. I just worry about kids reading the book and thinking, oh, that's enough reason for me to kill myself too.

So, I was kind of disappointed. Great read until that point. Just wanted more character motivation.

I've got Tabitha King's new book. Just started it (just one chapter so far) but it has a great beginning, which is promising.

Anyway, hope to be back soon! In the meantime, visit my site for a peek at my new releases, out this week!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!