Monday, January 07, 2008

Holidays are over...back to life

Well, I had THOUGHT I would keep up with everything during the holidays, but then we went out of town to see my family and I ended up spending...oh, zero time online, so that meant no blogging, and no e-mailing.

Then I came home with the cold from Night of the Living Dead and spent two and a half days in bed.

Now I'm on deadline, a book and a novella due this month, and whoa, that's a lot of words to write really fast :-). At the same time, I'm teaching an online class that's pretty intensive, so there's a lot of material to prepare. Every time I had tried to prep ahead of time...well, had another book to write, LOL.

But that's okay. I'm always happier busier than not. And we had a fabulous holiday. I LOVED the holiday with my family. It was so...Christmas-y. Singalongs, church, a trip to Edaville Railroad, and then when we came home, a New Year's Eve party with friends (and candy cane martinis).

I bet you want that recipe, huh? Those Candy Cane Martinis ROCKED but they will knock you on your butt, I'm warning you, so it's like a one-per person thing :-)

Candy Cane Martinis

1 1/2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
1/2 ounce white creme de cacoa
1 candy cane

Mix alcohol in a shaker with lots of ice and shake 15 to 20 times, until it's really cold, then drain into a martini glass. Garnish with a candy cane, letting the long part lay inside the glass (so the candy cane melts into the drink as it warms up).

I do love martinis and cosmos, but can't have a lot of them because they are pretty powerful things. And you know writing with a hangover is no fun ;-).

Tomorrow, I'll try to get a chance to do the thing Patrysha posted.

And Terra -- thank you for reading! Glad you enjoyed the book! Carolyn, thanks for the sweet words!

Brandy, I have to find the bread recipe, and when I do, I'll post it. I went looking for it the other day and couldn't find it. One of these days I'll actually have some kind of SENSIBLE system for my recipes, LOL.

Shirley
reading: One Door Away from Heaven by Dean Koontz
Just finished and LOVED: Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane and Gone for Good by Harlan Coben (also very good).

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Welcome back! Good luck with getting all that writing done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Whoo hoo, you are back! Missed ya! So glad you had such a good holiday. I typically don't like martinis but that sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!