Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Hot Recipe for a Cold Night: White Chili


I like chili, especially traditional chili, but I've never been a big fan of white chili. Then I came across a couple of recipes for it, and decided to blend the best features of both, and try my own variation.

The result? A wow recipe that had even me, the non-white chili fan, coming back for seconds, and reaching for the chili for lunch :-)


White Chicken Chili


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno (comes in a jar in the Mexican food aisle), chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or regular; I just prefer to cook with kosher)
2 cups chicken broth (I used the broth I made from the chickens I roasted the other day)
2 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained
1 pound cooked chicken, shredded (again, from those chickens I roasted; I just made two instead of one)
1/2 cup whipping cream


Heat oil in a large pot (like a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper and jalapeno. Saute about 4 minutes, until soft and onion is translucent. Add garlic and spices. Cook for one minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add vegetables, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender. Add beans and chicken and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and cook until heated through. Serve.

I served this with skillet corn bread (I just made the recipe on the back of the corn meal container) and honey butter (you just mix a teaspoon of honey with two teaspoons of butter). I had a happy hubby (kids were at other things that night) who came back for seconds and thirds!


Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!