Thursday, July 08, 2010

Meatball Stroganoff


Since Beef Stroganoff is a big hit in my house, I thought I'd try a variation on the dish with this Meatball Stroganoff recipe. I've been watching Sam the Cooking Guy lately, and he makes dinner look impossibly easy. So I picked up one of his books (Awesome Recipes and Kitchen Shortcuts) and saw this recipe for Meatball Stroganoff. I had nearly all the ingredients on hand, and when I got to the end of the day today and had that panicked "what am I going to make for dinner" moment at 4:00, I turned to this recipe.
It was good. I had good reviews from all family members. The youngest said he likes this better than my Beef Stroganoff (I think it's because my BS has mushrooms in it and he hates those). I personally like BS better, but this is a great in-a-pinch dish, that was quite delicious. Sort of like Swedish Meatballs on noodles.
Here's what I used for this:
Meatball Stroganoff

1 tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 pound frozen meatballs (just plain old frozen meatballs, no fancy flavoring), defrosted
1 12-ounce jar beef gravy
1 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons horseradish sauce (he said to use regular horseradish, and I had forgotten that when I went to the store, so I used that sauce you buy near the mayonnaise)
1 tablespoon dried dill
1/2 package wide egg noodles, cooked (I used the wheat ones)
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and cook until translucent and soft. Add meatballs, gravy, sour cream, horseradish and dill and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked thru. Toss with cooked noodles and serve.
Now, if you want my regular Beef Stroganoff recipe (which is always a huge hit in my house), it's on the blog. I definitely enjoyed Sam the Cooking Guy's take on this recipe, and it'll go in my "what the heck am I going to make for dinner" file. We all have those OMG, it's 4pm and there's nothing to eat moments--use this recipe to get something warm and yummy on the table in like 15 minutes total.
Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!