Monday, September 10, 2012

Low-Fat Cake with Nutella Buttercream

Okay, so this is a cake that kind of cancels itself out, sort of the fries with Diet Coke theory ;-) But in my defense, it's overall pretty healthy and I only made half a buttercream frosting, so it's a thin layer of that. Not so bad, right?

I saw both recipes on Pinterest and thought they'd be more fun together ;-)

The cake recipe is from Dr. Oz and is insanely simple. I found that using a name-brand cake mix (Pillsbury) produced a denser cake than store brand, so next time I use name-brand, I'll add a tiny bit more water. Also, the Dr Oz version called for plain Greek Yogurt, but I thought vanilla would add a tiny bit more flavor (and I was right ;-). I use Yoplait's, but there are a ton out there to choose from.

Low-Fat Devil's Food Cake

1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 container Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 cup water

Preheat oven according to package directions (I use a 13 by 9 pan and did 350 degrees). Spray pan with cooking spray. Mix all three ingredients, pour into pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool, then frost.

Nutella Buttercream Frosting (half batch)

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup Nutella spread
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer or with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed and light yellow in color. Add nutella, mix thoroughly. Add vanilla, then cream, and mix until combined. Frost :-)

That's it! It's easy and quick and a HUGE hit with my kids. Also, delicious with coffee for breakfast--something I know from personal experience ;-)

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!