Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thank a Hero Today




Today is September 11th, the anniversary of one of the greatest tragedies our country has ever faced. So many people gave their lives, and so many others have had their lives directly impacted by the events of that day, and I sincerely hope we, as a nation, never forget this day and continue to honor it, just as we do Pearl Harbor.

I'm not going to get into politics here, but I am the proud daughter of a military man, and the proud wife of a former military man, and want to encourage you to thank a hero today, whether that be a policeman, fireman or soldier. In the years since 9-11, I have taken to thanking these unsung heroes of our country when I see them, and though I nearly choke up every time I see a soldier and say that (because I think of how close I have come to losing those I love), it makes me feel good every time. I've taken my kids and a batch of cookies to the local fire station. Thanked the police who take the time to demonstrate safety to little kids. Thank nurses, who help those we love through illnesses.


There are so many heroes around us, not just those we will honor today. So when you go out into the world, say thank you and remember that without them, many of us wouldn't have the privilige of being here.

Shirley

PS: I love you, Dad. Thank you for being my hero when I was a little girl and a hero for the world when you put on a uniform.


And to my husband...thank you for being a hero to me and our children, as well as the one you were in the Navy. I love you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a recipe or thought, and remember to visit www.shirleyjump.com to read about Shirley's latest book!